Ok so it’s been about 4 months since I ventured out on this world trip and I’ve realised something (among many other things)…
You don’t really know what you actually need until you travel
I wrote a blog about a packing guide for a year long trip at the start of my trip and my list has changed a lot now that I’ve traveled for a bit. I’ve thrown away many things, lost others and had some small regrets (but they’re still regrets nonetheless) ~ things that would have made my life a whole lot easier if I brought them along with me.
So….without further ado, here’s my updated packing list for a year long trip.
I’ve also added some Mobile Apps I’ve found extremely useful because it’s always handy to know about this in our digital world.
If you aren’t aware of where I’ve been and where I’m going ~ I’ve done South East Asia, currently in South America and have done, but will go back to Europe during all sorts of climates ~ summer, winter and the monsoon/wet season.
The BEST mobile apps for travel
- Google translate – the absolute most useful app for language barriers
- Google Maps
- Google photos – uhhh hell yes to unlimited cloud storage and automatic instant backup to my photos (yes I take a lot) so if I lose my phone ~ no problems!
- Maps Me – offline maps
- Hostel World
- XE Currency Converter
- Spotify Premium
This is a general list for ALL countries but each country has very useful apps – e.g. GRAB is the best transport-taxi App in South East Asia
My best investments
- Power bank
- Phone charger
- Universal adapter with USB ports – sadly mine has broken now
- Bed bug/mosquito resistant bed sheet
- Wool scarf which works as a blanket and a shawl
- Re-usable drink bottle
- Portable pillow
- Bum-bag / fanny-pack
- Eye cover
- Waterproof phone case (that you can wear around your neck)
- My Crocs sandals
- Plastic, waterproof laptop case
My biggest regrets
- Sewing kit
- A better lock ~ mine recently became faulty and now I have no lock and have to buy a new one
- A head lamp
- More sunscreen
- More mosquito repellent
- Anti-itching cream
- A hat
My losses and things I’ve thrown away
- Packing cubes
- Exercise pants
- A t-shirt
- Sports bra
- A Spanish language booklet
- Extra protection for my laptop
Things I left behind in Malaysia and definitely haven’t needed
- Malaria pills
- My watch
- 2 x casual dresses ~ one works as my night gown
- 1 x jeans
- 1 x legging pants
- 2 x shorts (light weight and denim)
- 5-6 t-shirts, tank tops
- 1 x long sleeve shirt
- 1 x cardigan
- 1 x thin scarf ~ works as a sarong or head scarf
- 1 x wool scarf
- 1 x beanie/wool-cap
- 6 x pairs of underwear
- 2 x bras
- 2 x bikinis
- 1 x sandals
- 1 x running shoes
- 1 x hiking boots
I still have so many months of travel to go (at least another 6-8 months) and plan to hike to Machu Picchu so it will be very interesting to see if there’s anything I’ll regret or need. I’m trying desperately to get my luggage to 10 kgs but it’s a challenge I can’t seem to achieve (I’m ashamed). The best I’ve done so far is 15 kgs.
As they say ~ the longer you travel, the lighter you should pack. Oh the ironies of traveling vs going on vacation!
I hope you’ve gotten some use out of this blog and have a fab day!!!
Stay tuned for my adventures ~ blogs to come soon on India and my South East Asia travels.